10 Ways to Prepare for Christmas Now
Christmas…no matter how far away, it’s always close to our hearts! As soon as one Christmas is over, it’s important to reflect. What went well? What needs to be changed? What would you like to add or take away?
Here are some tips for preparing for Christmas now:
- Buy clearance items – Everything Christmas is on sale now. Buy your wrapping paper, bows, gift bags, decorations, and gifts at after-clearance prices.
- Evaluate this past Christmas – Take a look at this past Christmas. What worked? What didn’t work? What would you do again? What would you give up? Where can you save money? Decide on changes for next year.
- Take notes – Write down recipes you liked, things that worked, and things you need to purchase. If you have a Christmas display you really like, take a photograph of it so you can look at it next year. Store the photo on your computer or in a box with the decorations.
- Donate or toss out decorations – Do you have things you no longer want or need? Get rid of them now. Donate to charity before the end of the year for a tax donation credit.
- Pack and organize decorations – Prepare for next year by packing and organizing similar items together. Label bins and boxes. Use clear stackable bins for small items.
- Purchase gifts throughout the year – Buy gifts when you see them, especially if they are well priced. Store all gifts together somewhere so you can find them.
- Start DIY projects early – Work on projects and homemade gifts throughout the year.
- Create a Pinterest Board – Start a Christmas Pinterest board with decorating ideas, recipes, gift ideas, and DIY projects. Pin anything that catches your eye! Maybe you need a secret Pinterest board!
- Make a list and check it twice – Start a running Christmas gift list. Keep it in a handy place (I like to take notes in my phone). Be sure to keep it up-to-date.
- Start saving money – Evaluate how much you spent on gifts this year. Did you over spend? Save money each month for gifts! Many banks and credit unions have accounts you can open for occasions like Christmas.
With an early start, you will be sure to feel less stressed next year and more joyful! Prepare all year long for an even better Christmas next year!
A tip I heard, but never acted on. When you buy the person’s birthday gift purchase their Christmas gift too.
I try to stock up during the year too when I see cute, generic gifts. Last year I bought these gingerbread man soap containers at Family Christian which I forgot about, and then later found in my closet :).
Great tips. #1 and $6 are huge. They really make a big difference for me.
This is some serious planning ahead! I travel a ton and like to gradually pick up presents as we go to new, cool places. I suppose that falls under #6 🙂
This is great advice. No. 1 is so true. The few days after Christmas is a fantastic time to replenish your wrapping paper and greeting card stock.
Already picked up some Christmas presents for next year off the clearance racks 🙂 Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.
We definitely utilize some of these tips! Every year, I buy wrapping paper after Christmas (I have a nice collection, but we also finish up the end of at least one roll each year too). This year I started buying gifts earlier in the year (with our tax refund and with clearance toys), and that really reduced stress!
These are great tips! I just bought my first present actually, on clearance even 😀 Pretty happy with it too!
Good for you! Just remember where you store it 🙂
I’ve already started shopping for next year. I always buy all of my supplies on clearance.
It’s always good to prepare early. Although, admittedly, the only one I do is to start saving now. WE have a Christmas fund that we contribute to monthly.
These are awesome tips and list! Very timely indeed. Gotta start preparing for the next Christmas!