Air Museums in Michigan
My husband is an aircraft and air museum enthusiast. In fact, he loves history in general. He is also into photography. For this reason, I thought I’d research air museums in Michigan that we might be able to visit. I’ve also included some of the photos he took over the years from the Thunder Over Michigan Airshow which takes place at the Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti. We are able to watch much of the show from our own backyard!
Air Museums in Michigan
- Location: 6151 Portage Road, Portage, MI 49002
- Phone: 269-382-6555
- Admission: Air Zoo Members = FREE
Seniors 60+ yrs = $12.50
Children 5-18 yrs $14.50
Children 0-4 yrs = FREE
Military/Veteran Discount = 50%
Public Safety (Police & Fire) Discount = 50%
- Hours: Monday-Saturday: 9:00 am-5:00 pm, Sunday: Noon-5:00 pm. Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Open Christmas Eve 9 am-3 pm.
- Description: The Air Zoo is a world-class, Smithsonian-affiliated aerospace and science museum with over 100 rare and unique aircraft & spacecraft, inspiring interactive exhibits, full-motion flight simulators, indoor amusement park rides, a 4D theater, and hands-on, science-based camps and classes.
- Location: 1250 Weiss St, Frankenmuth, MI 48734
- Phone: 989-652-8005
- Hours: 10:00 am–5:00 pm
- Admission: $7 for adults, $6 for seniors, $5 for college students, $4 for active military, $3 for ages 6-17, free for ages 5 and under
- Description: Michigan’s Military & Space Heroes Museum is unique in that it is the only museum devoted to the wartime experiences of men and women from the state of Michigan. The museum’s mission is to Honor, Respect, and Remember the memories of Michigan men and women who answered the call to military service during America’s seven foreign wars, from the Spanish-American War to the War on Terrorism. With over 140 displays and a collection of nearly 700 exhibits, the museum hosts stories devoted to Michigan’s Governors, 13 Astronauts and 30 individual Medal of Honor Recipients, making it the nation’s largest Medal of Honor collection on display.
- Location: 27333 C Street, Bldg. 1011, Selfridge ANG Base, MI 48045
- Phone: 586-239-6768
- Hours: Open Saturdays and Sundays from noon-4:30 pm APRIL through OCTOBER. Also open Memorial Day & Independence Day.
- Admission: $4 for adults (12+), $3 for children ages 4-12
- Description: The museum displays will take you on a winding path through aviation history from the early 1900s, through World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and then into the period of time known as “The Cold War”. Displays wrap up near the doors to the air park with the display on Desert Storm. Air park continues with over 40 aircraft on display.
- Location: 6325 West Jefferson Avenue, Detroit, MI 48209
- Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 am–4:00 pm
- Admission: $5 per person
- Description: Tuskegee Airmen were dedicated, determined young men who enlisted to become America’s first black military airmen. The museum is dedicated to these airmen and their success in WWII.
- Location: 4071 E Van Ettan St, Oscoda Twp, MI 48750
- Phone: 989-739-7555
- Hours: Open Friday-Sunday 11 am-3 pm MAY to SEPTEMBER
- Admission: $5 for adults, $3 children under 12, free for children under 5
- Description: Wurtsmith Air Museum is located at the Oscoda-Wurtsmith Airport (formerly Paul B. Wurtsmith Air Base). The museum consists of flyable and static aircraft displays, related artifacts and equipment, memorabilia, and a library for research and public information.
- Current displays include:
- 920th Air Refueling Squadron
- Aviation Pioneers
- B-52 Armaments Trainer
- L-19 Bird Dog (Restoration in progress)
- Memorial Wall
- Pratt & Whitney “Double Wasp” R-200 Engine
- T-33 Shooting Star (Restoration in progress)
- WACO CG-4A “Hardin” Glider (Restoration in progress)
- Norden Bombsight
- World War II Link Instrument Trainer
- Women Air Racers
- Women in Aviation
- Wurtsmith Air Force Base
- Wurtsmith Room
- And many more items
- Location: 47884 D St., Belleville, MI 48111
- Phone: 734-483-4080
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10:00 am–4:00 pm, Sunday 12:00–5:00 pm. Closed on New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day
- Admission: $8 for adults (18+), $5 for children, seniors (65+), students with ID, and Military (Past and Present) with ID, free for children aged 2 and under.
- Visit Michigan Activity Pass (MAP) for free tickets!
- Description: See, touch, and learn! At the Yankee Air Museum, aviation and technology aren’t behind the glass or ropes. You can touch every rivet, explore airplane cockpits, and even experience the thrill of flight in an historical aircraft.