Favorite Mexican Restaurants in Metro Detroit
Mexican foods are my favorite! In fact, I could eat Mexican more than once a week. So recently, I polled my Facebook friends about their favorite Mexican Restaurants in Metro Detroit and one thing became quite clear…we LOVE our Mexican food!
You will find many of our favorite restaurants are located in downtown Detroit. That is because there is a community in Southwest Detroit called Mexicantown. Detroit’s Mexican population began settling in Mexicantown in the 1940s, which meant that Mexican restaurants began popping up in the area. One of the oldest Mexicantown Restaurants on our list is Los Galanes which opened in 1967. Another local favorite is Mexican Fiesta which opened its first location in 1962.
If you are looking for a Mexican Restaurant, check out the list below. I know my husband and I will be eating at many of these in the near future!
(Highlighted restaurants have a website – click on name to link)
Favorite Mexican Restaurants in Metro Detroit:
44401 Ford Rd, Canton, MI 48187
* Mexican and American food since 1962.
6600 N Canton Center Rd, Canton, MI 48187
* Familiar Mexican fare is the draw at this festive chain outpost with a full bar & outdoor seating.
24310 Ford Road, Dearborn Hgts, MI 48127
* This is the first of the two restaurants which opened in 1962. The second location is in Canton. Serves Mexican and American foods.
7400 Vernor Hwy, Detroit, MI 48209
* Festive Mexican eatery decorated with flair! Traditional enchiladas to sizzling fajita platters. Opened in 2001.
3149 Livernois Ave, Detroit, MI 48210
* Pupusas, carne guisada & other traditional Salvadoran dishes served in a colorful, laid-back place.
7056 Vernor Hwy, Detroit, MI 48209
* A little off the beaten path but authentic flavor.
3362 Bagley Ave, Detroit, MI 48216
* Mexican faves & handmade tortillas plus weekend Latin dance nights. Serving Detroit since 1967.
7278 Dix St, Detroit, MI 48209
* Tri-level pueblo-style eatery serving traditional Jalisco-style Mexican fare, meal combos & drinks.
7620 Vernor Hwy, Detroit, MI 48209
* Since 1997 Nuestra Familia has become an icon of Mexico right in Detroit.
3409 Bagley Ave, Detroit, MI 48216
* Good for groups, carry out, lunch, dinner or late night.
33200 Grand River Ave, Farmington, MI 48336
* Strives to provide authentic Mexican food and outstanding service.
28990 Orchard Lake Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48334
* Serving authentic Mexican since 1998.
27725 8 Mile Rd, Livonia, MI 48152
* Quaint, time-tested Mexican eatery offers menu of classic fare & Latin-inspired American chow.
28407 5 Mile Rd, Livonia, MI 48154
* Trendy joint serves generous plates of Mexican favorites in a compact interior with an upbeat vibe.
21420 Novi Rd, Novi, MI 48375
* Casual & quirky Tex-Mex outfit dishes up hefty plates of house faves like tamales & Cabo chicken.
555 Forest Ave, Plymouth, MI 48170
* A huge tequila selection & contemporary Mexican cuisine in a vibrant bi-level space with a patio.
47350 Van Dyke Ave, Shelby Charter Township, MI 48317
* 1 of 2 adobe-style Mexican spots known for spicy chicken-rice soup & banquet facilities.
26747 Van Born Rd, Taylor, MI 48180
* Colorful, family-owned eatery serving Mexican fare & classic American dishes since 1954.
7988 N Wayne Rd, Westland, MI 48185
7667 N Wayne Rd, Westland, MI 48185
* Mexican comfort food served in a colorful festive cantina setting with regular live mariachi music
New Mexico Restaurant
35851 Ford Rd, Westland, MI 48185
* Burritos, tacos & other familiar Mexican fare doled out in easy-going surroundings
La Torre Taqueria
1525 Washtenaw Ave, Ypsilanti, MI 48197
* Authentic Mexican food. Their specialty is tacos with fresh cilantro. Only a few small tables in this restaurant. Great place for carry out.
2851 E Michigan Ave, Ypsilanti, MI 48198
* Casual option for traditional Mexican cuisine plus lunch deals & a mariachi band on Sundays.
36 E Cross St, Ypsilanti, MI 48198
* From-scratch Mexican classics, including fajitas & enchiladas, at a casual eatery with a full bar.